Old September 26th 04, 12:04 AM
Toks Desalu

Maybe, but if the guy is 20 miles out and needing clearance to enter the
airport traffic area, he's not going to be able to "see" the signal lights
very well, is he?

I am not sure about bravo airspace due to nature of traffic. For other
controlled airspaces, deaf pilot already got his clearance. In order to
enter controlled airspace, he/she can contact tower by phone (They use
special device called TTY to communicate through phone) The deaf pilot will
be given instructions and squawk code.That's it. He/she will follow that
instructions.

What if he needs to transit a Class B airspace to get to
the controlled field? If he can't hear, he can't communicate with ATC,
thus, he can't get clearance.

Again, I dont think the deaf pilot can enter bravo airspace, even with a
special clearance due to nature of traffic. Besides, bravo airspaces only
cover a small percent of whole airspace system. I am pretty sure that they
can afford to make small detour if there is a conflict.

I've got to wonder if this one isn't a scam.

Signal lights are for short range, visual communications and there's no

use
for them outside the airport traffic area.

It is not a scam or anything. They fly strictly under VFR, like any other
pilots who fly without radio.

Toks Desalu
PP-ASEL
Dyin to soar!