Old February 4th 10, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

Default Does anyone use the Club Class?

On Feb 3, 3:38*pm, AK wrote:
I keep reading this thread and I must say there are some here who have
a real competitive class to go to (e.g. ASW-27 owners) but they refuse
to give the same right to Club Class gliders owners in the U.S.

It is time to stop treating Club Class owners as lesser citizens of
this community just because they don’t have fancy gliders.

We already restrict classes. No 18 m gliders show up for the 15 m
Nationals. So what is the problem with restricting higher performance
gliders from Club Class?

Maybe we should combine open, 18 m and 15 m class and call it a Super
Sports Class and do away with the existing classes. I can see the
uprising this would cause. I am not advocating this. I am simply
making a point here.

If we have Club Class Nationals on the east coast we will have plenty
of people participating and Sports class will not die out.

I am an ex-club class glider owner moving to a different class. I have
no interest of my own here.

I don't think the FAI guys are as hard over about that as you think -
it isn't racing unless you are racing against someone and more is
better than less. I see a fair number of contest with combined FAI
classes. The main reason I see people resisting combining classes is
they are trying to maximize their odds of getting on the podium - but
usually those victories are a bit hollow.

9B