Old April 14th 04, 04:12 PM
Ed Rasimus

On 14 Apr 2004 12:02:19 GMT, (BUFDRVR) wrote:

Hey, it's right up there with 'Defensor Pacis" (defenders of peace) on the
4500
ABW T-39s at Langley AFB in the 1970s.

The first USAF squadron I was in was the 740th Strategic Missile Squadron of
the 91st Strategic Missile Wing. The squadrons motto was "Custodius Pacis"
;custodians of peace, but if you look in the dictionary you'll also note for
custodian the definition most associated with the word; janitor. We used to
call ourselves the peace janitors.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

Don't know that I ever, in 23 years, served in a unit with a foreign
language motto on the patch. Most simply had the unit number or the
MAJCOM name---lemme see:

3526 Pilot Training Sqdn--no motto
Muletrain
Hacker (no mottos on flight patches)
4526 Combat Crew Training Sqdn--no motto
388th TFW (oops---Libertas Vel Mors)
421st TFS---"Ready, Willing, Able"
3526 Pilot Training Squadron--no motto
3525 Student Training Squadron (Academics)--"Who Dat?"
311 Combat Crew Training Squadron--no motto
388th TFW (still in Latin--Libertas Vel Mors)
469th TFS ---"World's Finest"
34th TFS ---no motto
401st TFS --- no motto
613 TFS --- no motto
USAFE -- no motto
479th TTW --- (oops ---Protectores Libertatis)
435 TFTS --- no motto
602 TACW --- no motto

For a wealth of patches take a look at
http://www.usafpatches.com/gallery.shtml

Easy organization by unit size (sqdn, group, wing) and numbers.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press