Old January 2nd 15, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Canadian Team Claims $250,000 Prize for Human-Powered Helicopter

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 08:05:50 +1300, george152 wrote:

On 2/01/2015 11:43 a.m., Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 08:36:08 +1300, george152 wrote:

On 2/01/2015 7:50 a.m., Larry Dighera wrote:

"With the application of passion and persistence and innovative,
creative thinking, you can really take on any challenge."
-- Cameron Robertson

Canadian Team Claims $250,000 Prize for Human-Powered Helicopter
http://www.wired.com/2013/07/human-powered-helicopter-prize/
BY JASON PAUR 07.11.13 | 2:14 PM
Now that's the sort of news we like to hear
So what's been happening that makes it an interest in 2015

Oh and a happy new year to you Larry

Hello George,

I just ran across an article in the November 2014 issue of Scientific American
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/atlas-helicopter-watch-the-record-setting-flight-of-atlas-the-human-powered-helicopter/
detailing the remarkable accomplishments of Reichaert and Robertson.

Did you view the videos?

All the best to you in the coming year.

I loved the low energy crashes in the video.
Thats about the last challenge for a man powered machine isn't it?

I like the fact that Reichaert and Robertson proved the "experts" wrong by
developing their own computer modeling program and using their ingenuity,
experience, and perseverance to succeed.

There appear to be additional man powered flight challenges that haven't been
met:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kremer_prize
There are currently three Kremer Prizes that have not yet been awarded, for
a total of £150,000.

* 26 mile Marathon course in under an hour (£50,000),
* Sporting aircraft challenge stressing maneuverability (£100,000),
* Local challenge that is limited to youth groups (under 18 years) in
the UK.
See: http://aerosociety.com/About-Us/specgroups/Human-Powered/Kremer
http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/aijf197/suhpa/kremer.html

And another:

http://www.worthingbirdman.co.uk/
Worthing International Birdman 2015 will take place on the weekend of 15th
and 16th August 2015 - Registration for flyers will open towards the end of
2014 - but you can register your interest by emailing

The Birdman is a flight competition for human powered flying machines held
each summer in the picturesque seaside town of Worthing on England's South
Coast.

Many flyers take part to raise money for charities, other design complex
machines to aim for the distance prizes. A substantial prize of £10,000 is
offered for the furthest flight should a birdman achieve over a 100 metre
distance.

Here's a video of the Korean 2014 human powered contest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSK7utXcaJ0

And 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGpFMg-wzwg#t=33

So it would seem that there are human powered flight efforts in several foreign
countries. ...