Old December 3rd 19, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John McCullagh[_2_]

Default Ventus 3 Sport fuselage

I had a Ventus 3 FES on order, but last March I was told that the leg-room
was reduced by the motor in the nose. I had flown a Ventus 3 turbo and
found that it was cramped but acceptable. (I am six feet tall.) I went over
to Germany for the exhibition in Friedrichshafen last April and sat in
Luka's FES Ventus. This had the full-sized instrument panel. Even though he
removed the seat cushion and used a Softie parachute, I did not fit. I
convinced myself for a while that it would be probably OK with the optional
"high knee" panel, but eventually came to the conclusion that "probably"
was not good enough for something costing this much. I therefore
reluctantly switched my order to the turbo version, and I also specified
the "high knee" panel just to get a little more space. For some strange
reason Schempp-Hirth chose to install the FES only in the smaller fuselage.
This is weird because the slight aerodynamic loss from the FES's propeller
should mean that most buyers will not be looking for the ultimate in
aerodynamic performance anyway.

Incidentally I put a $5000 deposit down in December 2014, four months
before it was announced and a year before the prototype of the V3 even
flew. Mine will be no 86 and it is due to arrive in three months' time.
What is annoying is that I could have bought an ASG29ES about 2-3 years
sooner, but I was hanging on for an electric engine.

At 08:55 22 November 2019, Jonathon May wrote:
At 01:16 22 November 2019, wrote:
On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 3:21:00 PM UTC-5,
Nat...@coldmountaincabi=
n.com wrote:
Considering a Ventus 3 FES, which of course comes with

the Sport
fuselage=
.. I=E2=80=99m 6=E2=80=99 in height and 170 lbs, pretty

slender - can
anyone=
with first hand experience speak to the size/comfort I would

likely
experi=
ence in this ship?

I know 5 V3 pilots; 3 are FES (which have shorter footroom)

and 2 are
turbo=
s. None of them (especially KM) are your size. If you have

broad sholders
y=
ou may have additional fit problems. My guess M&H will have

one on display
=
at the SSA Convention in Little Rock. Hope you try one on.

How long is the waiting list for a V3? it was over 4 years but
should be less now in full production