Old September 17th 04, 10:12 PM
nametab

Power reaction is not such an issue for a single-shaft engine. My engine can
go from 10-90% torque in one second, no problem.

However, you did hit on the larger problem: Very high gyroscopic forces.
Although the spinning mass is not very large, my engine turns at 43,500rpm.
That's loads of gyro. I have to be very careful not to snap against the
engine or I might just loose it.

BTY, I fly aerobatic helicopters, so there's a larger gyroscope to deal
with, but it "flies"...

"Peter Ashwood-Smith C-GZRO" wrote in message
om...
Is there a rational reason for the next to absence of turboprop planes
among aerobatic aircraft, or is this absence perhaps due to some sort
of stubborn romanticism?

There are actually a number of tubro powered aerobatic planes, think
for example of the PT-6 trainers.

For competition aerobatics however which includes lots of gyroscopic
forces, there are I believe concerns about the long shafts in those
engines and the huge gyroscopic forces at work. That would limit them
to sportsman stuff .. which is quite a restriction for a $1,000,000 +
airplane.

I suspect also the time required to spool up/down the power is an
issue.

Peter