Old September 30th 13, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Oximeter issues

Question to clarify how EDS works: I assume that the pilot controls the respiration rate and that inhaling triggers the release of O2 from the EDS.

On Sunday, September 29, 2013 11:04:56 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:

I wonder if there might be a training effect from the "poosh" of the EDS
system, such that a pilot tends to stop inhaling sooner than he
otherwise would.

I can imagine that EDS might train a pilot to take MORE SHALLOW breathes, but the body's autonomic system would then detect an imbalance and prompt the pilot to take MORE FREQUENT breathes in order to establish proper O2 (and CO2) blood levels. Conscious breathing disrupts the autonomic regulation process.

If your pulse oximeter reads low, then turn up the O2 delivery rate or descend. Do you use Aerox Silicone mask or similar with EDS above 18000?