View Single Post
Old December 27th 19, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge
external usenet poster

Default FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

On Friday, 27 December 2019 03:19:00 UTC+2, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 2:29:01 PM UTC-8, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Wednesday, December 25, 2019 at 11:53:57 PM UTC-6, krasw wrote:
If sunset time is stated in hours and minutes, then minutes are what you validate, not minutes and seconds? I guess there is a lot more to this story we are not told.

Exactly my opinion, too.

You can legally fly a glider after sunset IF it is equipped with navigational lights. A friend of mine did exactly that. So, unless you KNOW the glider DIDN'T have nav lights, you can't say DEFINITIVELY that the flight was illegal.

Tom

The South African CAA regulations require navigation lights, landing light(s) and a rotating beacon or strobe light to fly at night.

Aircraft operating lights
CAR 91.04.3 (1) No owner or operator of an aircraft shall operate such aircraft by night unless, in addition to the equipment specified in regulation 91.04.5(1), the aircraft is equipped with –
(a) serviceable navigation lights;
(b) either –
(i) two serviceable landing lights; or
(ii) one single serviceable landing light housing with two separately energized
filaments;
(c) a serviceable rotating beacon or strobe light; and
(d) a serviceable electrical torch for each required crew member, readily accessible to such crew member when seated at his or her designated station.
(2) Power supplied from the electrical system of the aircraft shall –
(a) provide adequate illumination for all instruments and equipment, used by the flight crew and essential for the safe operation of the aircraft;