Old June 13th 05, 08:43 PM
Nyal Williams

I'll be on metered oxygen, beginning at 5000K with
the Mountain High metering device. It should cover
most eventualities -- kinks in line, weak battery,
mouth breathing (which I tend to do), etc.

I'm just wondering if color vision is a useful indicator.
Everyone in the chamber noted the color loss; they
had a color wheel on the wall and called our attention
to it. I just have no idea how far gone we were; half
the class had masks off and the others were watching
behavior, and then we reversed situations.

At 19:00 13 June 2005, Mike The Strike wrote:

From years of high-altitude glider flying, I have found
my first

symptom is spots and patterns in my vision. It used
to occur above
about 12,000 feet AGL, but now I'm older I see the
symptoms at 10,000
or even below. I have never experienced loss of color
vision. I
suppose it's possible that symptoms vary between individuals.

I routinely use oxygen above 10,000 feet these days.
It's cheap
enough.

Mike

Nyal Williams wrote:
...snip.. My concern is whether color
vision loss means one is too far gone for this to
be a practical tool
for monitoring.