Old May 8th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default GPS approach step-down fixes

"Julian Scarfe" wrote in message ...
"John R. Copeland" wrote in message

KHDN (Hayden) RNAV (GPS) Y Rwy 10

but at least in the case of Hayden, ZULON is a named stepdown fix,
at 1.9 nm to RAPVE, which is the MAP located 1 nm from the runway.

OK, good example. So when I pass INEDE (the FAF) inbound on that approach,
what does my distance-to-waypoint read? 3.5, counting down to ZULON, or 5.4
counting down to RAPVE?

Julian

I've run several other examples through the GNS480 simulator,
and they all have computed a smooth glide path from the FAF to the MAP,
displaying nothing regarding the named stepdown fixes.
The distance counts down from the FAF to the MAP, as in your supposition.

I don't know of any approaches near me with suitable stepdown fixes
to try actually flying one for real.
But previously I've found the simulator to be very faithful to the actual equipment.

If you have the GNS430/530 simulator, try running some approaches on it.
It might behave differently, since it would not supply vertical guidance.