Old July 13th 03, 04:28 PM
Kirk Stant

Looks like a Smokewinder to me - was this shot taken at an airshow, by
any chance?

These are usually seen on the wingtip pylons of F-16s during demos,
but since the Typhoon has DAAS pods there, the outboard underwing
pylons are the obvious next best choice.

My guess is that the small intake at the rear feeds whatever makes the
smoke.

Note that there are no antennas, markings, control surfaces, etc.
Definitely not a weapon or operational store.

As an aside, how in the world can Eurofighter make any front aspect LO
claims for this plane! Unless the whole thing is made out of RAM, it's
got more right angles and bumps than an F-4! The wingroot (gun port
fairing?) is hideous!

Nice HUD, though. Too bad HUDs are obsolete (see F-35).

Typhoon seems like a nice plane, but I think the Rafale is much better
looking. Would love to see a real, unbiased (fat chance) comparison
of the two. Not that that will win any fights...except at airshows,
maybe.

Fights on!

Kirk
Old F-4 WSO

Great photo - but what's that on the port side pylon? Looks almost like a wingless TALD.