Old October 10th 10, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tom De Moor

Default First Human Powered Ornithopter

In article ,
says...

I went back and looked at all the pix and video and I think it's nothing
more than a flapping glider. I seriously doubt it would have ever flown
if not towed...

That is not the question. A human can produce over an extended period of
time about 200 W (or roughly 1/3 of a HP). It's kind of hard to take off
with that kind of horsepower.

The builders claim that they extended the glide by flapping the wings
only using human power.

That should be sufficient to be an ornithopter: they could also be
lauched from a clif of a (big) birdnest to gain the initial start
energy.

Anyway: a man-carrying ornithopter remains an elusif bird, let alone a
human powered one.

Tom De Moor