Old March 21st 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Lonely up there?

paul kgyy wrote:

It appeared to be a long time since last hearing from ATC on a recent
flight, and sure enough, "27D can you still hear us?". I still could,
and they transferred me to a local approach control.

Anybody ever just call them up to see if they forgot about you? I did
that once over Toledo.

I do that a lot in the Northeast while flying IFR, since normally even the
airspace over central and western NY state is relatively active, but once
in awhile it does goes quiet.

In these cases, I will also make my request as, "Rochester Approach,
Bonanza 45W, requesting radio check."

Most times the controllers know exactly why I am asking and say, "Receiving
you loud and clear Bonanza 45W. Yes, we are quiet for the moment but I see
on my scope that it is about to pick up."

--
Peter