Old May 23rd 16, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kirschner[_3_]

Default Help me convince my wife..... :)

At 16:58 23 May 2016, wrote:
So.. I bought a share in a 1-35 this winter. I've already had a

blast in
it this season. I own just 1/4 of it, so not much of an outlay of

cash.

I've got the disease pretty bad. I'm interested now in going

halves with
another club member on something glass and in the 40+ l/d

Lets say a ASW24. I've rented one before at Williams, and had

fun in it.

With my own glass ship that travels well, I could hit FL and SW

areas in
the winter. My job allows me to float about the country pretty

easy. In
other words, take the glider to FL, work a week out of FL, then

fly a few
days and bring it back home.

So my wife.. while not being very EXCITED about the prospect of

me spending
25 or so thousand dollars on a glider hasn't thrown fits. BUT...

she took
me for a loop today.

She said, what about just going places to rent? I countered with

the fact
that many places were clubs, and many places were not renting

high
performance stuff like that.

When she heard CLUB.. she just said.... well, for the money you

are
spending, you could join at a couple clubs around the country

and travel to
them each once a year.

UHHHHH...

now.. off the top of my head, the depreciation on a well cared for

glass
ship is pretty low, what maybe 2k a year 3 at most? Then throw

in my half
of insurance and mtx.. call it another grand or two. That's a

couple to
three thousand a year.

Any help here?

Please.

JP

I think I made money on most of the Gliders I owned, I only lost
money on the ASH 25.

But the real benefit of owning rather than renting or club Gliders is
availability. The gliders only users are you and your syndicate
partners, so you can work out between you when it is available.

Next the instruments are to your liking and you know how they
work, and the Batteries are kept in good condition, you can make
yourself comfortable, its your parachute which you can get
comfortable in.

You can get to know how the Glider handles and enter
competitions.

If you are just flying the odd hour now and then a club glider is
fine and cost effective, if you want to break records and fly all day
you can't beat your own glider.
Max