Old January 14th 05, 10:22 PM
Juan Jimenez

That's because the comment is classic Riley Clueless, Vaughn. Modern 100#
propane tanks are rated for _at least_ 250# _working_ pressure. Each tank
must be tested two twice that working pressure and one out of every 500 is
tested to four times working pressure. Pressure relief valves for cooking
gas tanks are usually set for 375 psi. The compressed air that goes into the
tank doesn't get nearly as hot as his overactive imagination says it does.
In fact, the outside of the tank is quite cool to the touch at 280 psi.

"Vaughn" wrote in message

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
news
Propane tanks are normally rated for 250 LBS.

That rating is normally at 120 degrees. 280 PSI air is probably a lot
hotter than that. It's been too long since I've done ideal gas law
equations, but I seem to remember 250 psi air getting to 300 or 350 F.
At a temperature higher than it's rating, a tank is weaker than it's
rating.

You lost me here. In my experience, 250# air can be any temperature
you
want it to be.

Vaughn