Old October 5th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Seven

Default Essential and Dispensible WW2 aircraft.

On Oct 5, 12:30 am, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article , "rob"
wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote ...

The RAF didn't really have confidence in it with the Allison. In
particular its
high level performance was poor so it wasn't a good fighter choice. IIRC
the RAF
used the Allsion engined version for ground attack a bit where the
failings
weren't so obvious.

Used as a dive bomber no less, A-36 Invader I believe was its name

Nope -- it was "Apache."

It was indeed the Apache. The NMUSAF says on the first line of their
write-up that it was informally known as the "Invader" though. You say
Viper, I say Fighting Falcon, I guess.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/fac...eet.asp?id=493

And on my prior post about the P-75, it is *not* in fact in the R&D
hangars right now. It's actually in the restoration hangars, which can
be viewed on their behind-the-scenes tour that Ann and I did back in
March. My mistake.

-Steven