Old January 7th 05, 02:19 PM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

Actually there are known distances for all of those situations, which are
published in the handbook for each aircraft, and we in turn must have them
memorized.

And we do in fact train in exactly that way to get a 'feel' for what those
numbers actually are in real time, although shutting the engine down
completely is forbidden in most cases, powering down to as close to zero
thrust as the engine will go gives you the same result.

"Ramapriya" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wanted to know if you guys occasionally practice, at a safe altitude
with not too many passengers on board, stuff that *might* come in handy
should something dreadful happens - for example, shutting off an engine
or both and trying to judge, from the aircraft's rate of descent and
distance covered between two altitudes, how far ahead it can possibly
reach before reaching the ground, etc. Just to get a feel of things
real-time.

Or is all of this restricted strictly to simulators?
Ramapriya