Old November 16th 05, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gear Warning

While the BGA rule might make some sense landing on a grass runway (or
mud, as it is in Britain), I wouldn't like to see anyone land a nice
glass ship on our Arizona rock and gravel runways.

I am also not sure I would agree with their rationale. In my opinion,
it would be a particularly inept pilot who could not lower his/her gear
at all but the final stages of a landing approach and who might be
startled by a radio call so badly they lost control. The BGA procedure
also now leaves an immobile glider sitting in the middle of the runway
- another hazard!

Perhaps some BGA members could illuminate us on why their ruling body
considers them incapable of taking corrective action when landing?

Mike