Old March 19th 04, 12:28 PM
tscottme

Brian H wrote in message
om...
Hi All,

I've been snooping the rec.aviation.* groups for a while, and I'm
still lost.

I want to start studying for my IFR rating. I'm from the US, resident
in Japan, and so I reckon on studying on my own then taking the test
on some trip back to the states one day. I've seen a variety of
opinions, and I've looked at some stuff on my own, and it seems ...
without actually holding the materials in my hand ... that I can make
the following subjective (and unsubstantiated :-) claims:

- The Jeppesen materials are pretty good.
- The Gleim materials are great, but only teach you to pass the test.

Do yourself a favor and study for the FAA test apart from a careful
study for real life and don't confuse them. I used to administer
computerized testing for one location of a very large flight school. I
have passed numerous FAA tests. The FAA wants the FAA answer to the FAA
question. The less thinking your do about what is the correct answer to
a 50 year old question and whether the FAA knows we are no longer at war
with the Kaiser, the better.

You and an instructor should decide whether in your situation it's
better to pass the FAA test before you know anything about real IFR or
pass it later. I recommend an inexpensive ASA test guide. Get the one
with just the questions and the answers, not the one with several
paragraphs discussing each type of question. Read the question,
highlight the correct answer. Take your time and read only the question
and the highlighted answer. On test day you will recognize the FAA
answer, mark it, and move on. Don't try to reason the FAA way, don't
try to pretend the FAA test is a real life situation. Once you pass the
FAA test, promptly forget all of it and don't let it interfere with real
life.

Study the real life information like your life depends on it.

--
Scott
--------