Old May 4th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Questions on twin operation

On Thu, 4 May 2006 02:25:13 +0200, "Frode Berg"
wrote:

Hi!

I have a few questions regarding twin operation.

This is all just lofty dreams for me right now, but I want realistic dreams,
hence the questions...:-)

I am a professional bass player by trade.
My instrument is BIG, meaning no way I can get it in my Arrow...:-(

A Seneca II would probably fit the bill. Turbo'd engines to climb
high. Quite large cabin, with a large set of loading doors in rear.

160-170kts typical cruise.

Reasonable acquire costs (100-175k USD)

My Father in law had one for about 10 years and the average annuals
were easily over 5k, and a few over 10k USD. He replaced a lot of
cylinders. With his experience, and speculating on commentary from
several other pilots - this seems to be common with the TSIO360s. I
certainly would not expect on making TBO without at least one TOH.

Insurance will be expensive. I was looking at purchasing one and the
best quote I could find was $5k/year. At the time I was 800hrs total
time, instrument rating, and would have been a newbie Multi pilot.

You will also pay more to hangar a twin. My airport wanted close to
$600/month for shared hangar space. That is about double what I pay
for a private hangar for my Cherokee.

-Nathan

..