Old May 16th 14, 03:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design,rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F

Default How does a wet cloth really help (scientifically) to survive an airplane crash?

micky wrote:
So, what we really need is the key datapoint:
a. What is the concentration of HCN in a typical aircraft fire?

Who says there is a typical aircraft fire wrt HCN?

Maybe we should use natural materials in airplane interiors.

Understanding CO and HCN is especially crucial to today's fire service, because
the smoke that firefighters were exposed to 20 or 30 years ago is not the same
as it is today. Wood, cellulose, cotton, silk, wool, etc., were bad decades ago,
but they were nowhere near as toxic as the chemically-manufactured materials of
today. When combined in a fire situation, these chemicals are often referred to
as "the breath from hell"2 and include compounds such as:
a.. Acetyls-aerosol containers, combs, lighters and pens
b.. Acrylics-glues, food packages and skylights
c.. Nylons-various household containers, brushes, sewing thread and fishing
line
d.. Polyesters-hair dryers, computers and kitchen appliances
e.. Polypropylene-bottles, diapers and furniture
f.. Polyurethanes-shoes and cushions
g.. Polyvinyl chlorides (PVC)-carpet, clothes, purses, records and shower
curtains
h.. Thermo sets-TVs, coatings, toilets, buttons, flooring and insulation
http://www.firefighternation.com/art...more-dangerous