Old October 26th 03, 11:39 PM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 10/26/03 5:17 AM, in article ,
"José Herculano" wrote:

Nowadays, most of us wear brown boots with the flight suits too.

One thing that always amazes me... most of the flight boots I see look more
like hicking/hunting boots than anything else? In this day and age, why not
use something lighter and that allows for a finer feel and touch?
_____________
José Herculano

José,

Standard answer is that the boot is designed more for what happens before
and after the flight (especially if there are more takeoffs than landings)
than for what it does in the airplane.

i.e. steel toes for that rare flight deck mishap and high boot backs and
rugged soles for that parachute landing and hike to the nearest Texan and
his pick-up truck.

Not much delicate feel is required on rudder pedals. Stick, yes. Pedals,
no. Although *misapply* controls (e.g. high AOA and right stick and left
rudder), and you could be off to the races.

--Woody