Old August 12th 03, 09:24 PM
goneill

Default using winch instead of aerotow

Our club has gradually moved to winch over the last few years and now we use
ordinary aerotow rope on the winch (its cheap,made everywhere ,easy to
splice
and wears extremely well)Rope bungees slightly so pilots have to be trained
how to keep an even load on the cable (makes you a smoother pilot as well)
Average launch heights off 3300ft runway 1400-1600ft, record is a single
astir to 2700ft
We do tickets for launching at $8 each, 1 ticket for winch launch, 1 ticket
per 500ft
aerotow launch normally to 2000ft
We have noticed these effects

1: more flying in marginal conditions (its cheap )
2:more students because its cheap
3:A MASSIVE INCREASE IN CLUB PROFIT per launch (5 TIMES AS MUCH) on far
less turnover. The winch now makes multiple times what aerotowing
used to make for FAR LESS CAPITAL COST.
We have priced the winch to have costs of less than a quarter of the ticket
price
4:Pilots are better at getting away from lower heights
he difference is such that plans are being mooted to build a second winch
and look at a bullwheel arrangement and endless cable on a small diesel to
haul the cables
out while a launch is going on

We have a hundred members at our club and have noticed an increase in flying
activity per member as a result of winching (again cost per launch)