Old March 25th 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default How do I fly this approach?

On Mar 19, 5:40*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
a writes:
The question was directed to the OP, Maury. Consider again the
clearance and your position. My own preference is to not have to hurry
down from en route altitudes.

At a ground speed of 120 knots, with a maximum of ten miles within which to
descend from 6000 feet to 4300 feet, I would need a descent rate of 340 fpm,
which is easily achievable. *With a 40-knot tailwind at 120 KIAS (not
inconceivable in this case), I would need a descent rate of 453 fpm, still
easy to achieve.

You don't have to wait until you get to the NDB to start your
descent. You can descend from AST by using the feeder. Down load the
FAA IFR Procedures Handbook from the FAA web site and look up feeder.

Maurice Givens
CSEL, CSES, CMEL, CFI-A, CFI-I, AGI, IGI
CAP Check Pilot