Old June 15th 13, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy B

Default Canopy open incident.

On Saturday, June 15, 2013 1:53:53 PM UTC-6, Wayne wrote:
"Bob Whelan" wrote in message ...

On 6/15/2013 7:03 AM, Walt Connelly wrote:

I found this on YouTube and I would be more interested in what the crowd

on Aviation Banter/Soaring had to say. I am impressed that this

individual would post his video, has to be a bit embarrassing. Lots of

second guessing and backseat flying in the comments but I think he did

the right thing. What say you, far more experienced glider pilots?

Walt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=r0I75OZmA-0#!

I've lost a canopy. Though not captured on video, I published it in hopes

that others could learn from something from my experience.

http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-16/nocan.htm

Wayne

Yes, I lost a canopy too. My first flight in the 'new to me' Kestrel 19.
The levers were down, but not secured in the clips. Didn't know they had to be 'locked down'.
I was not in the habit of checking the canopy by pushing up.
The canopy departed shortly after liftoff, with no damage to anything else.
I released and landed straight ahead on the runway.
The canopy pieces were all found by fellow club members, and I managed to fasten them all back together and make the canopy serviceable again.

Subsequent flights have been much, much better.

Guy
CF-FGR