Old June 15th 18, 09:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default THE LONG AWAITED BREAK THROUGH IN BATTERY TECHNOLOGY HAS BEEN FOUND

Mind not blown. The concept of combining carbon ultra capacitors and lithium ion batteries for hybrid cars has been worked on for several years by various companies. The French Nawatechnologies company claims to have better capacitors rather than a new concept. In a hybrid car the advantage of combining the ultracapacitor with a lithium battery seems to be using the capacitor's extremely rapid charging for regenerative energy storage but that's not much use for self-launching motorgliders. Also motorglider main battery charging time is not nearly as critical as it is for electric cars - we can do it overnight whereas they need very rapid charging to counter the reduced range compared to ICE engined vehicles.

To me the big story about electrical energy storage advancement is that despite numerous claims of a revolution just round the corner it has been stubbornly incremental in reality.