Old November 11th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
J.Kahn

Default Aircraft Spruce Rant

The Tiara was that geared engine that Continental abandoned in the 70s.
How many Tiara's were made? I thought there were very few out there.

Speaking of spruce, I was chatting with the gentleman at Western
Aircraft here in Canada and he said that remaining big sitka logs are
becoming totally sewn up by Asian buyers and it is just about impossible
to get logs that will produce anything but capstrip anymore. He is
starting to offer mil spec quality Hemlock as an alternative, which has
the availability of spruce 10-20 years ago, not being in heavy demand to
build Japanese temples and such. It is 10% heavier and 10% stronger and
doesn't splinter readily like fir.

John K

Doug Palmer wrote:
Thanks for all the compliments folks. Sounds like others have enjoyed the
wicks experience. My point wasn't necessarily to stay away from Spruce,
they do have a huge inventory, but to give the smaller guys a chance because
they seem to try harder.

The plane is a Spencer Amphibian. The flying surfaces are getting painted
now, I am hoping to have it airborne in the spring. Engine is a Continental
Tiara 6-285-C2, Prop is a 84" 3 Bladed MT reversible.

No I have not heard the UV smooth Prime nightmares, Clue me in. Most people
I know using it love the stuff. I did notice that Polyfiber changed their
recommendations for dry time from 24 hours to 3 weeks which did pique my
curiosity.