Old June 17th 11, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PK

Default Lumbar support ideas?

On Jun 16, 10:51*am, "noel.wade" wrote:
All -

For the third year in a row I've somehow managed to injure my back
early in the season (base of the spine/sciatic nerve). *I'm beginning
to suspect its not my day-job or rigging my ship (I have a one-man
rigger); but rather my flying and seating position in the cockpit
(DG-300). *Short early-season flights don't seem to cause a problem;
but a couple of long flights in a row (or a long drive in the car + a
long flight the same day) may be what's touching it off... *Its
getting VERY frustrating to be bed-ridden for a couple of days (at age
33)!

So while I get going with physical therapy (again) and meds (again),
I'm thinking about ways to change my cockpit and take pressure off the
base of my spine. *I've already added some seat-foam; the only other
thing I can think of is to try not to have my spine bent in such a "U"
shape.

Anyone out there have suggestions on creating a lumbar support pad?
As I understand it, the pad should sit between the parachute and my
back (not between the 'chute and the seatback). *Tips or ideas would
be greatly appreciated!

--Noel

Like the other comments before, I had the parachute rigger install
memory foam betwen the chute and my back and is attached to the
harness. I also use the same under my butt and knees. Took a long time
to tweek but finally there. I too fly a DG300. PeterK