Old July 19th 05, 05:58 PM
Matt Barrow

"Ken W" wrote in message
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

Ever hear of "Heat Index"?

Matt,

What the poster rather rudely objected to was your quoted RH of 90%
and temp of 104 F. The dew points during the 1995 Chicago heat wave
(which I'll assume you were referring to) were in the upper 70s
(degrees F) and lower 80s, which translate to a RH of about 50% during
the peak temps of the day.

I was actually referring to the heat around June 22, 1990. At that time
Phoenix hit 122, and Chicago hit 104 or 105. I have several relatives in
Chicago and in Phoenix that gave us the low down. I also recall watching the
TV news about Chicago's heat related deaths.

Sorry if my memory isn' that sharp after 15 years. :~)

Also, I was equating "comfort index", which I would guess can get to a
lethal level at high enough humidity. As mentioned, I had to fly from
Houston to Bakersfield and was happy to get to Bakersfield (once I got into
the shade) after that sauna in Houston.

Of course, the RH would shoot up to over
90% as the temperatures dropped during the night so your quote of 90%
RH wasn't entirely incorrect. You remain correct in the thrust of
your argument: The heat index in Chicago (temp: 104 F, DP: 80 F) was
127 F and the heat index for your Phoenix example (temp: 120 F, RH:
6%) was 111 F.

Again, I don't recall the exact numbers, but IIRC, Chicago lost nearly 100
people during that heat spell, while Phoenix (which dropped to something
like 85 at night) lost maybe a handful.

As for that rude poster, it is indeed unfortunate that
some people in usenet seek to bolster their weak egos by rudely trying
to instigate a ****ing contest when a simple polite correction would
suffice. The poster in this case took a friendly thread and turned it
ugly with a single post.

Understanding the context (as your data showed) would have been sufficient.

I'm known for a hot temper, but I usually try to make a subtle correction
first.

I suspect Dan and I are similar that way.

--
Matt