Old November 2nd 03, 10:16 PM
Greg Arnold

I had an LS-3 that was refinished this way (or so I was told). The
cracks returned after a few years.

JJ Sinclair wrote:

I think you are on the right track, Scott. I would think that epoxy squeegeed
(sp) into the cracks would have a better chance of lasting. Then prime and
paint with Uurathane which is softer than gel-coat and you might just get your
wings refinished for about half price. The problem with a glider repair shop
trying something like this, is they would have to stand behind their work and
nobody want's to take the chance. I din't know a lot about refinishing
sailplane wings, but I do

refinish many vacuum forming tools. When I encounter
checking, gelcoat cracks or surface irregularitys that
produce markoff, I use catalized surfacing primers for cars.

We shoot it onto the surface and wipe it into the cracks/fissures
with our hands using gloves a couple coats does it. It sands well
and gets you to 600 grit smooth really quickly.

Why aren't we doing this. It seems that you could DA sand
the wings in a few hours, shoot 200 bucks worth of primer,
sand the primer in a few hours and be ready for topcoat.

Topcoats are about 150 a gallon ready to shoot.
Colorsand after paint andf you are done..........

So 600 bucks for materials and 10 hours each wing.
10 hours on the fuse/vert 4 hrs rudder, 4 hrs stab.
4 hrs each flap, 2 hrs each alerion 8 hrs diasaaembly
8 hrs reassembly.

66 hrs labor + 600 material....... 3100 for a repaint with auto paint??
337 field approval, logbook entry and move on.

Just thinking out loud.....

Scott

JJ Sinclair