Old March 27th 05, 01:21 PM

Garmin 296 with a bag full of batteries? Or, with a long-duration power
supply?

Second engine?

Trade the bird in for a Citation X and a professional crew?

Ron Garret wrote:

Howdy,

I fly a Cirrus SR22, an all-electric plane. It has dual-redundant power
busses, which makes total electrical failure unlikely, but if it does
happen in IMC it can really ruin your day, so I'm thinking about a
backup plan. Obviously a portable GPS and Comm unit are first on the
priority list, but I'd also like to get a portable AI, since it's really
hard to keep the wings level with just a GPS. Most of the portable AIs
seem to be part of a complete EFB solution about which I know very
little, but as long as I'm heading in that direction anyway I thought
I'd ask if anyone had any experience or recommendations in this
direction. I want to optimize for portability first. This is just a
backup plan, so I don't want to shlep around a lot of extra weight that
I'm likely never going to use. Beyond that I'm curious about two
things: 1) what's the cheapest portable AI solution out there, and 2)
what can I get that's still portable if price is no object. XM weather?
Portable stormscope? Electronic approach plates? The kitchen sink? (I
suppose a portable autopilot is too much to ask :-)

Thanks,
rg