Old December 13th 07, 08:41 PM posted to sci.military.naval, rec.aviation.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

Default On Topic old tidbit - bummer - another

On Dec 13, 3:17 pm, "a425couple" wrote:
"Jack Linthicum" wrote "a425couple" wrote:
"a425couple" wrote
While looking for something else, reading site:

http://www.silent-warriors.com/shootdown_list.html I found this bummer: (two different)
"25 May 1968 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger buzzed a group of US Navy vessels,

including the USS Essex (CVS-9), off the coast of northern Norway. Shortly
after passing low over the Essex, the Soviet bomber banked and one wing tip
hit the sea. The plane then cartwheeled and exploded. There were no
survivors."

"15 July 1964 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger crashed in the Sea of Japan near the

USS
Bennington, USS Cunningham and USS Eversole."

Got a cite for that second one? I was in the Sea of Japan on that
date. Do not remember any activity like that.

My only 'knowledge' is from the cite I posted above.
(silent-warriors).
If it is in error, (total or detail), I'd kind'a like to be informed,
so I can try to remember not to use it again.

There seems to be no way it is right, the Bennington and escorts would
have been fairly noticeable. I stumbled across a semi-famous person's
oral account of my trip if you are interested in why I think it didn't
happen that way.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/archives/pdf/BGregory.pdf

p26-30