Old December 5th 15, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XC

Default If You've Flown a FLARM Stealth Contest, Vote Here

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 10:30:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Lots of earnest opinions, some more strident than others. Lots of confident statements about what works, doesn't work, is possible, is futile, is inevitable.

So let's keep it simple: if you have flown in a contest at any level where stealth was mandated (not necessarily mandatory FLARM, but if FLARM was used, it had to be in stealth mode), what was your experience?

If you HAVEN'T flown in a stealth-mandatory contest, DON'T POST. You had your chance to speculate and make your opinions heard (some of you many, many times) over in "Is FLARM Helpful?" We could run this over on Survey Monkey, et al., but I think it's useful to track the responses on this forum..

My view based on the Elmira nats in 2015: FLARM under stealth provided the collision avoidance and situational awareness intended without changing the tactics or strategy of the competitive flying significantly.

My vote: "yes" for mandatory stealth mode.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.

I helped organize the 2015 Std./15m Nationals in Elmira where we used FLARM in stealth mode. Flying with the stealth was fine with plenty of collision avoidance. Administratively, it presented no real problems.

I also flew the Pan American Glider Contest with IGC rules. I liked the IGC rules generally. The rules allow team flying and full usage of FLARM. Because of this I know FLARM displays are definitely being used tactically. I even used FLARM this way myself. Any pilot would be at a disadvantage if they didn't. I feel strongly this use of FLARM is a bad thing for sailplane racing.

To use another analogy because some think I am being a luddite. When we went from maps and cameras to GPS it was like writers moving from pen and paper or a typewriter to a word processor or a computer. It made writing, or in our case navigating, easier and faster. Unlimited use of FLARM in contests often amounts to plagiarism or stealing some else's work. The idea that everyone doing it will lead to some bright new future for our sport is wrong minded in my opinion. Use of unlimited FLARM displays in contests will lead to reduced brilliance.

XC