Old December 10th 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Power Flarm Display

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the nice review of the LXNAV FlarmView. It is a very nice
product. But, to clarify one point you made below, there is no need to
convert the FlarmNet file. I suspect that you must have downloaded the
wrong file. You need to use the one on the FlarmNet web site that is
formatted for LXNAV products.
Details are available he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/lxnav...XNAV-FlarmView

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

wrote in message

Steve,

I started with a Butterfly 57mm display, but it is severly limited on menu
choices and usability in-flight. The display on my Butterfly was quite dim
which made the small text harder to read.

I switched to the FlarmView by LX. It's much brighter and you have a lot
more options on how you want to configure the display and all the options
are available in flight. In my opinion the FlarmView is a significantly
better choice. The only minor drawback is that it's not designed to go into
a 57mm panel cut out. I simply made a small bracket and it's directly in
front of a spare 57mm instrument location. The text on the FlarmView is
still small, but the resolution of the better quality display screen makes
it easier to read. The size of the two screens is basically identical. One
BIG advantage of the FlarmView is the ability to assign a contest number to
an "unknown" FLARM target on the fly. If you use the Butterfly, you can NOT
edit the ID in any way other than the convoluted database download, upload
and pray method of the Butterfly. With FlarmView if you see an unknown
FLARM target you can select that target and then enter the contest number
for that target and you're DONE. FlarmView will also accept the FlarmNet
data, but you have to do a simple conversion of the data first. Another
simplification is that you can remove the mini SD card and add the FlarmNet
data to the card and it doesn't require a RadioShack project of making your
own custom data transfer cable which is currently required with the
Butterfly Display.

Anyway, enough said. Go here to see the FlarmView Display.

http://lxnav.com/products/flarmview.html

Paul at Cumulus has the FlarmViews.

Mark

On Sunday, December 9, 2012 5:42:27 PM UTC-6, SteveB_Z5 wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a Power Flarm brick. What do users think of
the display? Sun and shade readability?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,m