Old March 3rd 04, 08:45 AM
Ragnar

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
Subject: SGT. GREIGO'S FLAK JACKET
From: "Ragnar"
Date: 3/2/04 7:08 PM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
Sgt. Greigo's Flak Jacket

Emilio Griego was our engineer/tail gunner. He was short smiley fellow

with a
shy grin and a shy manner. When you spoke to him he would look at the

ground,
smiling but always answer you with a snappy "Yes Sir" and get to work

with
great energy and dedication. He was a very good engineer and Paul (Paul

Shorts
Lake Charles LA our pilot) depended on him a lot to work with the

mechanics to
keep "Willie" in good shape. Very often he would be up all through the

night
working with the mechanics to make sure all would be well for the

morning
mission. He was a good soldier, a fine fellow and an asset to our crew

that we
all appreciated. But he did have one shortcoming, he wouldn't follow

orders. A
particular set of orders that is. He would never wear his flak jacket.

He
would
sit on it. We would scream at him to put the damn jacket on. He would

smile and
say "yes sir, I'll wear it". But on the next mission it was the same

thing.
Ordering, screaming, yelling, threatening could never get Griego to

wear
that
damn flak jacket.

So you let a man deliberately and repeatedly disobey a direct order?

Didn't
the officers on your crew have any balls at all?

No balls at all. At least not as much as you had when you flew all your
missions.. Tell us about it

I don't have to fly missions in WW2 to know that deliberately and repeatedly
disobeying a direct order reflects badly on any officer who condones the
activity. That was as true in the AAC then as it is now in the USAF.

So why wasn't the man disciplined after deliberately and repeatedly defying
a direct order?