Old February 22nd 04, 07:20 PM
Richard Isakson

One of the most memorable bits of aviation film that I've every seen was
only 30 seconds long. It was a black and white movie theater commercial
about a World War II scrap drive. I think I saw it on PBS. A group of Boy
Scouts are seen rolling assorted scrap into a scap pile. They leave and the
most beautiful biplane I've ever seen lands next to the pile. At that point
I started talking to the TV. "No, don't do that." The Boy Scouts returned
and started pushing this most beautiful biplane towards the pile. "NO, no,
no, no, Don't Do That!" They pushed it all the way upside down onto the
pile to my scream of "Noooo ...".

Well, my scream was about fifty years too late to save that plane and I've
never figured out what make and model it was but it's amazing how much
passion a bit of film can raise.

Rich