Old November 9th 05, 01:00 PM
Peter Clark

Default KAP140 autopilot and a KLN94 GPS question

Is your NAV/GPS input selector switch in NAV or GPS?
Does your aircraft have a DG or a HSI?

In my experience the NAV/GPS selector in GPS mode will attempt to get
to the purple line when you select NAV. HDG mode obviously just flies
the bug.

I believe that you should have the NAV/GPS button in GPS, and use the
autopilot's NAV mode to have it fly the flight plan (or direct-to).
It's a lot of extra work having it tell you the track to fly and then
keep fiddling with the bug to maintain it when the unit will do that
itself. The only time mine goes out of GPS-input-is-NAV-button mode
is when I'm getting vectored for an ILS and I need it to get ready to
fly the localizer, or if I'm really flying a radial.

Just out of curiosity, where are you based?

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 21:05:54 -0800, "STICKMONKE"
wrote:

Yes, the autopilot appears to want to intercept the flight plan leg instead
of following the direct-to course when I engage NAV or APR on the autopilot
(heading bug and CDI set to DTK desired track). The bug and OBS is set to
the indicated DTK heading. I was told by my instructor to fly "with the bug"
in heading mode until I get very close to the DTK waypoint before I engage
NAV or APR. Is it possible that when I disengage HEADING MODE and engage NAV
or APR the autopilot is simply correcting my DTK. I have been either
disengaging the autopilot or re-engaging the heading mode when the autopilot
appears to be making a noticeable course correction.

"John Clonts" wrote in message
.. .

"STICKMONKE" wrote in message
I got my IFR rating 1 month ago and now have a license to learn.

Pont of confusion.

I enter a "direct-to" in the GPS and fly the desired track (DTK) heading
with the Heading Bug and the autopilot in heading mode to the IAF. As I
approach the IAF and engage the "APR" mode (with a flight plan and
approach loaded). The autopilot does not track the DTK (my current
heading), but in fact wants to intercept the course stored in the GPS
active flight plan (which is a different heading than I am currently
tracking with DTK).

Am I correct in assuming the Autopilot wants to fly the GPS loaded flight
plan/approach in the NAV/APR mode and NOT the DTK I selected in "direct
to" in the GPS?

I am flying a C172S/G with a KAP140 autopilot and a KLN94 GPS. Assume I
load a short flight plan loaded with the first waypoint as the IAF for a
GPS approach to the destination airport. I am doing a Tower Enroute with
a Departure Procedure. I takeoff, start the DP and is handed-off to
Departure Control. I request the GPS approach and "direct" to the IAF. I
am assigned the "direct". I enter into the GPS the "direct to IAF" and
get a DTK. When I engage the APR on the autopilot, it navigates to the
flight plan loaded in the GPS and not the desired track (DTK) I am
flying.

Indeed this does not sound "right"! When you say it "navigates to the
flight plan", do you mean it turns to intercept the flight plan leg
instead of following the direct-to course? Which one is purple, the
direct-to course or the flight plan leg (it should be the direct-to
course). I fly with a KLN94 but not the KAP140, mine is a Century 2000.
But doesn't your A/P track based on the external CDI (HSI or VOR--which do
you have BTW?) ? If it does, what does your external CDI say while this is
going on-- does it agree with your GPS' CDI (and therefore navigate with
respect to the purple direct-to line)?
--
Cheers,
John Clonts