Old June 23rd 16, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Seeking a glider (Discus B or CS or 2B, ASW-20, Ventus B, or LS-4).

At 23:08 22 June 2016, wrote:
If I could spend some time figuring out if IFIT in it with a chute..

I'd be
interested.

I've flown one.. but without a chute, and with the seat back

removed.

I went and looked at one in Saratoga, but could not fit with the

chute.
Well, I fit, but it took 4 tries.

Any chance you have the higher leg cutouts on the panel?

JP

I had an early -24 (serial #4 I think?), and I was very tight. I am
6'2", and flew it without the seat back, but with a chute. The later
ones have the seat-back bulkhead moved back about 4 cm in order
to make more room in the cockpit. I asked about modifying my old
one, and was told to just buy a new one, which I did. The extra 4
cm did make a difference, but it was still somewhat tight for me.

I also had a DG-300 which I flew without the seatback, but was
reasonably comfortable sitting in with a chute.

I also had a Discus B. I fit in that, but only with the seat back
removed. My head was so far back, that my side-wards and rear
visibility was so limited by the fuselage that I had to use mirrors on
the glareshield in order to see other traffic in my thermal. I went to
the -24 partly because it allowed me to see back to the tail as well
as other traffic in the rear area.

The latest and best solution for me to actually be comfortable was to
buy a Discus-2b. They finally designed a glider (Ventus-2b also)
that almost anyone can fit into. I could finally fly with a parachute,
without removing the seatback, lay my legs flat on the floor, and still
have 2 notches left to extend the rudder pedals even further
forward if needed. In other words, I fit in this glider like a normal
person without special adaptations.

If you are tall, you might concentrate your search in the Discus-2b /
Ventus-2b, DG-300, or Genesis areas, for a cockpit which will
provide more room than most of the others.

Good luck...

RO