Old September 23rd 19, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Kawa rough landing?

john firth wrote on 9/23/2019 1:48 PM:
On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 3:31:32 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Not sure how accurate FB translate is, but it appear as if Mr. Kawa had some sort of incident with an electric motor not working and a rough uphill landing. Gas, electric or jet be careful guys!

Re prop drag;
At the end of towing in the Citabria, I would cut the engine and then stall
it to stop the wind-milling. This reduced the for a reasonable L/D.
However, a wind-milling prop running free probably has much less drag than
stationary prop.
Who will perform a test?

http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/misc/prop.pdf

The article concludes "it depends"; briefly, high pitch - let it rotate, low
pitch, stop it. Other sources pointed out helicopters autorotate to slow their
descent with the engine disconnected, and clearly that's slower than stopping the
blades!

I'm guessing a 26E with a broken belt has more drag from the spinning prop than a
stopped prop, but do not plan any testing; however, I will be happy to do a
comparison glide with another 26E that has the belt removed. That could be done on
the ground, and then glider towed to height required for the test glide.