Old November 5th 03, 09:09 AM
Dave Martin

All the more reasons for getting funding for trails
in the UK!

At 05:54 05 November 2003, Bob Johnson wrote:
Hi Bill --

After my limited experience with it, I can't help but
think that
synthetic is going to be a lot safer and less nasty
to work with during
breaks or whenever else it has to be dodged or handled.
It's light as a
feather, soft as a baby's butt and stores absolutely
no energy.

BJ

'W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).' wrote:

A winch should never have any doors or windows open
while actually
launching. The cab must be fully enclosed, doors
and windows shut. The
windows must be of laminated glass or similar, with
Lexan or something
similar on the inside surfaces. Any openings not
glazed must be protected
with expanded metal sheet, weldmesh or similar.

If the cable breaks, and sooner or later it will,
it can get inside the
winch through any opening with amazing ferocity.

One of the Long Mynd amateur winch drivers had the
back window slightly
open. The cable broke, came in through the window
and attacked his
clothing. He considered he had a very lucky escape,
and has given up
driving the winch.

At another club one of the most experienced of all
winch drivers parked his
car directly behind the winch and facing it, what
he thought was a safe
distance away. This was at a busy club which has
done many thousands of
winch launches every year for a very long time.
The cable broke and flew
back, trashing the back of his car and round the car
to break one of the
front door windows. I saw the car afterwards and
asked who had run into
him.

This sort of thing does not happen very often so it
takes people by
surprise. It is a completely avoidable risk and
is just not worth taking.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove 'ic' to reply.

'Martin Gregorie' wrote in message

Climate control: there is a diesel burning heater
for winter and the
sliding doors open in summer.

Martin Gregorie