Old March 6th 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oscar Goudriaan

Default Low towing thought

If you were taught (in South Africa) to release in low tow, I'm sorry to say
that you were taught the wrong procedure by the individual instructor. The
approved procedure, also in SA, is to come up to high tow slowly, put some
tension on the rope, and then release.
If you release in low tow, you run the risk of the odfur ring breaking
through your canopy, or at worst, tangling up your glider.

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message
I did annual checks about a month ago, when we were encouraged to try low
position on the way up for spin checks. I decided that I like low tow and
will use it in future, but before I do so there's one thing I'd like to ask
the Aussies and other habitual low towers: when you release do you just
pull the bung in the low position or do you pop up above the wake first?

I fly a Libelle, which normally tows with a lot of sag in the rope, even
with the wheel down, and it occurred to me that releasing in the low
position could cause the rings to pass close to the canopy or even hit it.
At least the Libelle has a nose hook: if this is an issue, would it be
even worse with a belly hook?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK