Old March 6th 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal[_3_]

Default Low towing thought

"Graeme Cant" gcantinter@tnodedotnet wrote in message
Martin Gregorie wrote:
I did annual checks about a month ago, when we were encouraged to try low
position on the way up for spin checks. I decided that I like low tow and
will use it in future, but before I do so there's one thing I'd like to
ask the Aussies and other habitual low towers: when you release do you
just pull the bung in the low position or do you pop up above the wake
first?

In Oz it's a no-no to pop up into high tow as you release (with all due
respect to Oscar's experience and SA's rules) because it's been known to
initiate a kiting situation. I guess our experience is that a 'slow' move
through a turbulent slipstream into high tow isn't all that easy to
accomplish for ab initio and low experience pilots at the same time as
they're trying to stay in position, check for traffic before release,
think about which knob to pull and how to initiate a turn.

The current teaching in Oz is to tow in whatever position you prefer (most
choose low) BUT you release from the tow position you used for the climb
so you don't scare the tuggies. KISS principle.

In general, while all gliders in Oz should have a nose hook for aerotow,
in practice this isn't always possible and the few gliders with only belly
hooks usually high tow, while the rest have the luxury (as Martin
discovered, it's easier) of low tow. So Oscar's problem of the Ottfur
ring (?) breaking the canopy is not relevant.

I fly a Libelle, which normally tows with a lot of sag in the rope, even
with the wheel down, and it occurred to me that releasing in the low
position could cause the rings to pass close to the canopy or even hit
it. At least the Libelle has a nose hook: if this is an issue, would it
be even worse with a belly hook?

I've never heard of a problem with low towing Libelles with nose hooks.
Obviously it would be sensible to release when the rope is under tension
but this applies to all towing. For those with only belly hooks, see
above.

GC

We used to go from low tow up into high tow or level tow as some may prefer.

After a few TUG pilots were killed in and some nearly killed they stopped
high tow unless you only have a belly hook.

We turn right after release.

We have released without turning like in wave etc and just to experiment I
have never come into contact with the rings as the tug accelerates away.

http://www.mals.net/