Old March 6th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Low towing thought

Oscar:

As far as I remember, what I describe was standard procedure in both
Jo'burg clubs in the 1970's and 1980's. Not wrong, just different. I
remember also being taught never to release from a slack rope for the
reasons you describe.

Slack rope during low tow gave me more interesting experiences than I
have seen since using high tow here in the USA.

Mike

On Mar 5, 11:46 pm, "Oscar Goudriaan" wrote:
If you were taught (in South Africa) to release in low tow, I'm sorry to say
that you were taught the wrong procedure by the individual instructor. The
approved procedure, also in SA, is to come up to high tow slowly, put some
tension on the rope, and then release.
If you release in low tow, you run the risk of the odfur ring breaking
through your canopy, or at worst, tangling up your glider.