Old February 18th 19, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GliderCZ

Default Ventus 2 undercarriage?

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 4:30:06 AM UTC-8, John McLaughlin wrote:
The undercarriage lever seems reluctant to stay in it's detent with the
wheel down - it'll pop out with the lightest touch and the wheel has been
known to retract, going over a bump.

One option is to push a wooden wedge against the lever, to hold it in
place,
but does anyone know if there's a better fix available? I believe the
Ventus
3 has a spring to hold the lever outboard - is that an option for fitting
to the
2?

Not sure that this applies to the detent problem, but are you aware of the SH Technical Notes 349-25 and 360-17? They refer specifically to potential gear retraction on landing if shock struts are fully compressed. It says: "It is possible that the tyre can touch the bolts of the strut and also the horizontal cross bar of the aft undercarriage strut. Due to this the undercarriage mechanism will come under loadings in the retracted position and may fail under unfavourable conditions."

There is a fix in the minor modification of the crossbar, but the same effect can also be attained by fitting a narrower, slightly smaller diameter tire. I got mine from Wings and Wheels: 336X115-5 TOST-AERO Tire (5.00X5). I had a gear collapse prior, happily on turf, although gear doors were damaged.

The fix is well described and illustrated in an appendix to those same TNs. I'm not a mechanic and don't play one on TV, so please confer with your favorite A&P/IA.

Incidentally, I still use an appropriate block in the detent space as insurance.