Old November 8th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger[_5_]

Default LS3a or Mini Nimbus

Just wondering, given the history of LS gliders why the LS-3 was not at
the top of score sheets like the LS1,2,4,6,and 8? When was it a
current design and which glider was the "it" glider durning the LS 3
production run. I had heard that the LS-6 airfoil was based off the LS
3 airfoil.

Roger

On Nov 7, 1:08 pm, Vic7 wrote:
Wrote:

Dear All,
Which glider would you choose: LS3a or Mini Nimbus and WHY ? Assuming
similar age and condition, comparable instruments, trailer.I have flown my Mini-Nimbus for the last six years. A good friend in

my club has an LS-3. We often fly XC together and neither plane has a
clear advantage in the air. Both ships fly marvelously for their
price, but a very significant difference I have found is in
assembly/disassembly. While my wings are not light compared to current
designs, the LS-3 wings are downright cruel and inhuman to handle. Not
only are they heavier than any glass ship I've helped rig, but also
they resist going together, which lengthens the amount of time you are
half bent over holding the beasts.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my Mini and think it delivers great
performance for the price. The only time I'll trade it in is when I
can afford one of those shiny, new, thin wings that go upwind better
than I can.

You will probably have a blast with either plane. Let us know which
you chose and how it turns out after you've flown it.

V7

--
Vic7