Old February 23rd 05, 08:53 AM

Yesterday I had a pleasure of having in my hands a book of MAG-31
Hornets of mid-1990s. That is really amazing what a beautiful mixed
weapon configurations the Marine guys can attach to their F/A-18Ds!!!

There I saw a Hornet in the following configuration:
2 x AIM-9 (wingtips)
1 x Walleye (port/outboard)
1 x data link pod (starboard/outboard)
1 x 330USGal. fuel tank (centerline)
plus FLIR and LST/SCAM on the nacelles, both inboard pylons empty.

As for the data link pods - www.globalsecurity.org or www.fas.org
describe a little the whole series of them (AWW-7 thru AWW-14), but no
pictures are included.

Surely that is quite a common practice to use one aircraft to
laser-designate the target or control the weapon via data link, whereas
another is actually dropping/launching it - as far as Paveway/Laser
Maverick or Walleye/SLAM are concerned.

AGM-62 Walleye was retired, indeed, so the pods must be used now only
for SLAM. The same as you, I have no reasonable idea why carry two of
them;-)

Have a nice day,

Jacek