Old March 25th 04, 03:06 AM
Tom Inglima

If as you say the pilot did take a practical test (flight test) for any
added rating, then they met the requirement for a BFR. End of story. I
have been in this business since 1965.

Second question. Is a Flight Instructor certificate the same as a pilot
certificate. NO! It even has a different number. ie. It has the letters
CFI at the end of the certificate number. Way back when I was a little guy,
there were Flight Instructor "Ratings" on pilot certificates. That ended in
the early sixties I think. There was also a time when anyone with an
Instrument rating on their pilot certificate was also a Instrument flight
instructor. Long gone. Don't get ramped and tell the Feds that you left
your Pilot certificate at home, but you have your Flight instructor
certificate with you and that will cover. Wont work.

Tom
"Mark Manes" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
"C J Campbell" wrote
It may be your policy, but it does not really follow the regs. Yes, I

know
the argument that the instructor certificate is not a pilot

certificate,
but
it sure gets treated as a pilot certificate for all other purposes. I

also
know that the policy varies from one FSDO to another.

Actually, it varies from one inspector to another.

Not too long ago, we had a jumpship crash. The pilot did all the
right things, but when the engine of a heavy single fails in the climb
at 400 ft, you just don't have many options. The field was wet and
rough, and there was substantial damage but no injuries. The accident
was reported, and the investigation delegated to the FAA. The pilot
made the mistake of noting that he never seems to hear of automobile
engines having catastrophic failures, but certified airplane engines
fail with depressing regularity. Next thing you know, he's written up
for flying with an expired BFR - enven though he had taken his CFII
ride only a few months ago. Your tax dollars at work.

I also know that most
examiners will sign the ride off as a BFR if you ask them to do that.

That's another gray area, worse than the original.

61.56 Flight review.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (f) of this section, a
flight
review consists of a minimum of 1 hour of flight training and 1 hour
of ground
training.

The FAA is pretty adamant that a checkride is not instruction.

But a checkride does count as a BFR

" 61.56 Flight Review
(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this
section, passed a pilot proficiency check conducted by and examiner, an
approved pilot check airman, or a US Armed Force, for a pilot certificate,
rating or operating privilege need not accomplish the flight review

required
by this section."

Not sure if CFI checkride counts as above, but adding an instrument rating
does count as a BFR. Adding a Multi Engine or MEI counts as a BFR.

Mark

Personally, I don't understand why the instructor doesn't just sign
the BFR. There's no way I would be comfortable signing someone off
for a CFI ride and not willing to sign off a BFR.

Michael

---