Old January 15th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Carb Rebuild -- Suggestions for where to go

If you/your mechanic do decide to look at float level, first make a
standpipe
fixture to show the operating float level.

Drill a small hole thru a 1/8 inch dia NPT pipe plug, and epoxy a 1 ft
length of clear flex tubing (such as model airplane fuel line) into the
hole.

There is a 1/8 inch (I think) NPT pipe plug on the back of the carb
that is ported into the bowl. Remove this plug & screw the standpipe
fixture
plug into this port. Hold the tubing up to see where the float level
actually settles - and decide your next course of action from there.

Obviously this fixture is for ground testing only.

FWIW - A fellow I know with a 182 had a similar carb rebuilt & had
quite an ongoing runaround with the certified repair station that did
it. There is a seal on the throttle shaft that if omitted or damaged,
ports intake manifold vacuum to the float bowl area. He was having
trouble with excessively lean mixture. I know this is not your problem
- but just be forwarned that a CRS doesn't necessarily get things right
either.