Old May 31st 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
[email protected][_2_]

Default The Home-made Home-builders Engine

On May 31, 12:35*am, Veeduber wrote:

, I also mentioned that an in-line engine such
as the de Havilland would be the least expensive.

The key to success in
this case would be the existence of a suitable crankshaft. *That is,
one in which the throws are spaced sufficiently far apart to allow the
use of finned barrels.

If I'm looking at this properly a standard VW water-cooled inline
crank (or most any similar 5 main bearing inline 4 crank) can be used
in a 90 deg. "V" 4. This would give plenty of room for fins. I think
all of the water-cooled VW cranks have 86mm or longer strokes and the
matching stock rods are between 7mm and 30mm longer than air-cooled
units, which should give good low speed torque. If it were a push rod
motor parts count would not be much greater than an inline?

A stub attached to the flywheel end of the crank and ground with the
mains to match a stock Continental front bearing, IMHO, would take
care of prop loads.
Leon McAtee