Old February 4th 04, 01:34 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Andreas Parsch" wrote in message
Hi,

a friend and I are unable to identify the WW2-era aircraft on this photo

(no
caption or context available):

http://www.designation-systems.net/mystery.jpg

We think that the aircraft (obviously a glider) is connected to the U.S.
Navy's GLOMB ("Glider Bomb") program for remotely controlled gliders used
as surface-attack missiles. Several types of gliders were used in this
program, some (heavily??) modified from existing types, others
newly-designed. Unfortunately, the information on GLOMB in out sources is
incomplete and partially inconsistent, and we couldn't come up with a
really plausible ID for the aircraft.

Andreas, the thing appears to resemble the Taylorcraft XTG-5 training
glider, albeit with a tricycle undercarriage. See:
http://www.ww2gp.org/training.htm. The Navy/Marine Corps had a similar
aircraft (the LNR-1, also LNT-1), which is referenced at
http://www.aero-web.org/specs/taylorcr/xlnt-1.htm, but no picture was
available. Note that Taylorcraft did manufacture the LBT-1 GLOMB
(http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP21.PDF). Forgive me if you already
knew all of this...

Brooks

So, any input would be much appreciated. Perhaps someone has that same

photo
_with_ a caption ;-).

Thanks in advance!

Andreas